[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Your Favorite Albums + Songs of 2003

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your Favorite Albums + Songs of 2003
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:20 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

This is the spot where you can give us your favorite albums/singles/concerts of 2003. I'll be posting donewaiting.com writers lists throughout the month of December, starting Thursday.

In the meantime, if you, fine readers of donewaiting.com, would like to post your favorites (I hate saying "best"), this would be a great place to do it.

ALSO: Please, no bashing on other people's lists or it'll get deleted immediately. These things are all based on personal tastes, and no one is gonna have all the right answers. But it will be interesting to see the trends that develop.

Last edited by robertduffy on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:44 am 
Godzilla

as far as records are concerned:
Favorites:
Cat Power : You Are Free [ Matador ]
finally, an entire album's worth of solid material. the most focused stuff she's ever done.
Blood Brothers : Burn, Piano Island, Burn [ ArtistDirect ]
didn't want to like this as much as i do, honestly. it's brutal and catchy as hell.
Manitoba : Up in Flames [ Domino ]
managed to outshine his tourmates. at its best moments, this record sound like my bloody valentine meets the beach boys.
The Wrens - The Meadowlands [ Absolutely Kosher ]
they are the (relatively) unsung pop geniuses.
Sufjan Stevens : Greetings from Michigcan, the Great Lake State [ Asthmatic Kitty / Sounds Familyre ]
what an amazing, epic, pretty, weird record.
Constantines : Shine a Light [ Sub Pop ]
deceptively simple and honest, sincere, rock music
Outkast : Speakerboxxx / The Love Below [ Arista ]
some of the best grooves since songs in the key of life. you have to respect anyone who makes a party album this intelligent.
Envy : A Dead Sinking Story [ Level Plane ]
heartbreaking japanese hardcore. sounds weird, i know, but the emotion is evident, as is the gravity.
Glenn Branca : The Ascension (re-release) [ Acute ]
this is kind of cheating, since it really came out about 20 years ago, but it's been unavailable for so long, and it's so fucking foundational and brilliant...
Radiohead : Hail to the Thief [ Captiol ]
i am still convinced that if you don't like this album you don't understand it (sorry).
Captain of Industry : S/T [ TeamEvil ]
you haven't heard this, but you should. go see them now.
The Vandermark 5 : airports for light [ Atavistic ]
jazz for post-rock fans. fantastic free sections, combined with ridiculously complicated, tightly controlled rhythmic lines.
Silencio : Mnemonic [ Self-released ]
you know. so talented it hurts.

honoroable mentions:
Gillian Welch : Soul Journey [ Acony ]
very good, but fairly standard gillian welch record. seems slightly too easy, although look at miss ohio and no one knows my name are great.
Iron & Wine : The Sea & The Rhythm [ Sub Pop ]
didn't like it as well as the full length. less melancholy slant (not that that's bad, necessarily). his lyrics are still amazing.
Iran : The Moon Boys [ Tumult ]
indescribable, weird, inaccessible pop music.
HIM : lila [ galaxia ]
the last HIM record, new features, was terrific. this one is also good, but i don't think the world music-y elements are as well integrated as they have been on the last couple records. sounds slightly cheesy sometimes.
Decemberists : Her Majesty the Decemberists [ KRS ]
i absolutely love some of this. notably chimbley sweep and red right ankle (which might win the best lyrics of the year title). but overall, it's pretty hit or miss.
Fennesz : Live in Japan [ Touch ]
very cool, but somewhat unfocused at times. feels unintentionally lethargic.

i reserve the right to change this later.

ps. was there good metal this year that i somehow missed? i didn't find very much that i liked.

Last edited by superunison on Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:53 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:35 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:42 pm 
Godzilla

TURBONEGRO - "Scandanavian Leather"
fav track: wipe it til it bleeds

SUPERSUCKERS - "Mother F'rs be Tripping"
fav track: Bubblegum and Beer

THE DATSUNS - "The Datsuns" (possibly 2003)
fav track - "fink for the man"

locally my faves were "seis sonadas" by the jive turkeys
and "saddest day of the year" by the x rated cowboys (ed note the songwriting on this album is so sweet that it would probably make my top 10 altogether)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:19 pm 
Godzilla

I think I'll just do this a few at a time and keep this thread alive.

Queens of the Stoneage - Songs for the Deaf.
track - You think I ain't worth a dollar, but I feel like a millionaire

Blood Brothers - Burn, Piano Island, Burn
track - Cecilia and the Silhouette Saloon

The Means - Divine Right of Means
track - Cheap Whine or Australians! (split decision there.)

The Black Eyes - The Black Eyes
track - A Pack of Wolves

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:52 pm 
Mothra

Aereogramme, Sleep and Release, [Matador]
Calibretto, Dead By Dawn, [Standard]
Cursive, The Ugly Organ, [Saddle Creek]
The Fire Theft, The Fire Theft, [Rykodisc]
Guided By Voices, Earthquake Glue, [Matador]
Lake Trout, Another One Lost, [Palm Pictures]
Ted Leo & The Pharmacists, Hearts Of Oak, [Lookout]
Loretta, The Translation, [Benchmark]
The Mars Volta, De-loused at the Comatorium, [Universal]
Mono, One Step More and You Die, [Arena Rock]
Radiohead, Hail To The Thief, [Capitol]

This could change by the end of the year, as my tastes tend to change over time. What didn't make the cut (yet): Wht Stripes, Mogwai, Idlewild, Pieces, Outkast, Frank Black, Trail of Dead, Strokes, Jane's, et al. [/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:57 pm 
King Ghidorah

1. Lightning Bolt – Wonderful Rainbow (Load)
2. Viktor Vaughn – Vaudeville Villain (Sound Ink)
3. The High Strung – These are Good Times (Tee Pee)
4. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Fever to Tell (Interscope)
5. The Tyde – Twice (Rough Trade)
6. The Thermals – More Parts Per Million (Sub Pop)
7. The Books – The Lemon of Pink (Tomlab)
8. The Rapture – Echoes (Universal)
9. My Morning Jacket – It Still Moves (?)
10. Menomena – I am the Fun Blame Monster (Muuuhahaha!)

I wanted to include Sufjan Stevens and the Unicorns but I thought Menomena was biting enough from Pitchfork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:58 pm 
Mechagodzilla

In this order.......

1. OutHud - StreetDad
2. Exploding Hearts - Guitar Romantic
3. the Rapture - Echoes
4. Lightning Bolt - Wonderful Rainbow
5. 84 Nash - A Secret Reward
6. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell
7. A-Frames - 2
8. Dizzee Rascal - Boy in Da Corner
9. Fiery Furnaces - Gallowsbird's Bark
10. The Strokes - Room on Fire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:14 pm 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:13 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:17 am 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:31 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:33 pm 
Godzilla

I will also include:

The Ed Kemper Trio - HACK

The Evil Queens - Dos
(is it wrong to love your own band? no.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:50 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:51 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:15 am 
Snarf

Top 5 Albums:
1) Ted Leo/Rx - Hearts of Oak

2) The Notwist - Neon Golden (whenever I read someone praising Transatlanticism, I just pretend they're talking about this album.

3) Bishop Allen - Charm School

4) Ex Models - Zoo Psychology

5) Cat Power - You Are Free

so, two mopey records, two maddeningly poppy records, and one very, very scary record.

Top 5 concerts (all in various Chicago venues):

1) Wire - I felt like I was in 1977. That's probably the best thing you could about a concert. Especially after how much The Fall show two days later sucked (except for TVotR opening).

2) The Sea and Cake - The most *fun* concert I've been to in a while.

3) The Decemberists - I heard all the Her Majesty songs five months in advance, and many of the not so great ones you guys mentioned sounded great live.

4) Mogwai - They were really, really loud.

5) Broken Social Scene - The record is kinda mellow, but they were rockin' live.

Bonus - Best Overall Concert Bill - Mates of State / Saturday Looks Good to Me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:16 pm 
Godzilla

I don't think i have 10 i fell are good enough to make a top 10 list but here's what i liked.

Bonnie Prince Billy - Master and Everyone
Bardo Pond - On the Ellipse
Calla - Televise
Kinski - Airs above your station
Yo La Tengo - Summer Sun
Okkervil River - Down the river of Golden Dreams
Hamell on Trial - Tough Love

Albums which might make the list based on what i've heard, but i haven't heard the whole thing yet.

Envy - A dead sinking story
TV on the Radio - Young Liars

Looking over this I'm realizing that my list is very biased towards artists I wasn't familiar with before. (Including Yo la tengo and BPB i must admit). The only picks I was familiar with before 2003 are bardo pond and hamell and really, those aren't as good as some of their earlier stuff. Other discs that would probably be on there if my expectations weren't so high are

Explosions in the sky - The earth is not a cold dead place
Four Tet - Rounds
Blue Man Group - The Complex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:49 pm 
King Ghidorah

Personal Tops:

Songs: Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co. (secretly canadian)
Listened to at least once a week since purchase. more Kanas-inspired blue collar rock than previous (also amazing) sobering alt-country material.

Kevin Drumm - Land of Lurches (hanson)
I don't imagine too many DW readers would dig on this, but if you're into horror movies, and scary gurgling shit, you can't go wrong with this. imagine the title seriously coming to life in your speakers. violent experimental stuff.

Paul Duncan - To An Ambient Hollywood (home tapes)
Not the first album to attempt a merge of bedroom lo-fi and digital glitch, but the only one that's really succeeded. almost everything played by the man himself in his room. everything that was wrong about Smith's Figure 8 done right. home tapes is gonna make waves soon. http://www.home-tapes.com

others i dug: bonnie prince billy, matmos, lullatone, loose fur, cat power, decemberists, a silver mt. zion....

[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:53 pm 
Godzilla

mike, how's land of lurches compared to miasma?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:27 pm 
Godzilla

My list

1. Ted Leo/Pharmacists “Hearts of Oak”
Ted Leo has become my current indie rock idol and crush. Ever since I saw the band perform “Where Have All the Rude Boys Gone” on Conan waaaay back in January or February (I don’t remember the exact date now), I’ve been in love with the music. “Hearts of Oak” is easily the best album of the year, filled with great guitars and vocals and keyboards and political views that refuse to be squelched.
I love you Ted Leo. Won’t you come live in our spare bedroom and sing to me all the time?

2. The White Stripes “Elephant”
What can I say? “Red Blood Cells” was good, this is better. “Seven Nation Army” and “The Hardest Button to Button” are fantastic songs. And getting to hear Meg sing on “In the Cold, Cold Night” is a treat unto itself.

3. Fountains of Wayne “Welcome Interstate Managers”
This one had me hooked from the beginning. There hasn’t been a great sing-along dork rock song as good as “Stacy’s Mom” since “Buddy Holly.”

4. Nada Surf “Let Go”
Wow. Wow, wow, wow. Who knew the guys who did “Popular” would do something as beautiful as this record? The first song, “Blizzard of ‘77”, is one of my favorites of the year. The whole record is just really really good and deserves a listen. You almost want the band to change their name so they won’t be associated with their older stuff...but maybe that’s the point. They’re saying, “Look at us and what we’ve become.”

5. Ted Leo/Pharmacists “Tell Balgeary, Balgury is Dead” EP
After releasing the best album of the year, he turns around and releases the best EP of the year. This one is mostly solo, although the title track is the orginal from “Hearts of Oak.”
But hearing “The High Party” solo? That’s beautiful. And “The Sword in the Stone?” and “Loyal to my Sorrowful Country?” It’s just an all-around gorgeous record, and my only complaint is that it’s an EP and too damn short.

6. Outkast “Speakerboxxx/Love Below”
I do not like rap. I do not like hip hop. I just cannot get into it. But “Ms. Jackson” was such a great song, that I gave this record a chance. I’ve listened more to The Love Below more than Speakerboxx for a few choice songs, including the infectious “Hey Ya.”

7. Death Cab for Cutie “Transatlanticism”
Forgive me, indie rockers, for I did not know anything about Death Cab before this year.
Last year, a friend of mine gave his brother a Death Cab vinyl, and I thought, “Death Cab for Cutie? Is that some kind of weird punk/goth band?” Well, friends, I was wrong. They’re a beautiful, beautiful band, and despite the fact that some people don’t care for this record that much, I love it. “Title and Registration” and “Expo ‘86” are two fantastic songs.

8. Warren Zevon “The Wind”
You may think I’m including this just beause the man is dead and I pity him. I don’t. Once again, he was one of those people you discover just a little too late. Mr. Duffy and I watched the special on VH-1 about him, and I just didn’t want him to die. I was so glad he got to see this record come out before he died. And the music is great. You can hear the raspiness of Zevon’s voice, and you know it shouldn’t be there. You know it’s painful for him to sing, but he just keeps on doing it. Rest in peace, Warren.

9. Cursive “The Ugly Organ”
I go back and forth on this record, but I cannot deny it’s power. “Driftwood” is one of the best songs I’ve heard all year, it’s so haunting. I think getting to see this band live helped cement the record, hell, seeing any band live usually helps cement a record in your mind.

10. Zwan “Mary, Star of the Sea”
I didn’t like The Smashing Pumpkins that much. Sorry. I just didn’t. There were a couple of songs that I liked, but for the most part, I just thought they were trying too hard.
I didn’t have high expectations for Zwan, so I was blown away when I saw them at the Newport back in December of last year. When the record came out, it was great. I was sad to see the band break up a couple of months ago, but you kind of knew it was going to happen.
It was nice to see Billy Corgan happy for once. He seemed to be enjoying himself immensely, playing music that, for the most part, wasn’t all dark and depressing.

Honorable mentions (in no particular order):
Mrs. Children “Basement Demos”
Fruit Bats “Mouthfuls”
Blur “Think Tank”
Eels “Shootenanny”
Crooked Fingers “Red Devil Dawn”
Belle and Sebastian “Dear Catastrophe Waitress”
Tiara “Summer of the Lion, Summer of the Lamb”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:35 pm 
Godzilla

i'm adding
the desert fathers : the spirituality
god this is good. very, very unique. somehow it mixes up my bloody valentine, the pixies, gregorian chant, shellac... but somehow it actually works together. sometimes it's gorgeous, sometimes it's scary, sometimes its funny.

these guys will most likely be coming through in early march, look for it.
mp3s are available at:
http://www.thedesertfathers.com/

you kind of need the whole record to do it justice though.

whew.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:16 pm 
Mothra

1. The Wrens - The Meadowlands
2. Single Frame - Wetheads Come Running
3. My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves
4. Exploding Hearts - Guitar Romantic
5. Broken Social Scene - You Forgot it in People
6. Clearlake - Cedars
7. The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
8. Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway
9. Earlimart - Everyone Down Here
10. The Thermals - More Parts per Million
11. Ted Leo/Rx - Hearts of Oak
12. New Pornographers - Electric Version
13. Cat Power - You are Free
14. 84 Nash - A Secret Reward
15. Grandaddy - Sumday
16. British Sea Power - The Decline of ...
17. Blood Brothers - Burn, Piano Island, Burn
18. The Notwist - Neon Golden
19. Dizzee Rascal - Boy in da Corner
20. Menomena - I am the Fun Blame Monster

I don't know how everyone else feels, but I think that 2003 has been one of the strongest years for albums in years.

Two finds from previous years I now could not live without:

The Wrens - Seacaucus
Swervedriver - Mezcal Head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:59 pm 
SPOON Kill The Moonlight
was this in 2003? seems like i've had this album forever already
like it's a classic. one of my favorite albums of all time, not just 2003.

Elliott Smith Ugly Before b/w A Distorted Reality...7" record
not an album but still some of my favorite songs. i'm sure his new
album will be at the top of my list for 2004 if it ever comes out.

Saves The Day In Reverie
i love this album. beautiful melodies mixed with harder rock transitions
and a truely uniform sound throughout the album. i can play this over and
over and never get sick of it.

Outkast The Love Below/Speakerboxx
i know this is on everyone's top 10, and rightly so, but i'm new to the
Outkast game so this was a big one for me.

+/- (PLUS/MINUS) You Are Here
after seeing them live i had to buy this cd. it's not as good as the live
show was, but still a really nice mix of spacey electronic pop and
heavier Radiohead meets DCFC type stuff. anyone disapointed with
"Transatlanciscm" should check this out.

Beatles Let It Be...Naked
i know, it was originally released in 1969 but hearing it like this makes
it sound like it maybe should have, and therefore it is new again?
i don't know, but it sounds amazing.

Belle and Sebastian Dear Catastrophe Waitress
Great comeback album after a few less than interesting relelases.
the 2nd to last song should've been a TIARA song.

The Strokes Room on Fire
excellent follow-up to a hard-to-follow first album. they could
have easily gone big and tried for more, but ended up with less.
insted, they stayed in their own way, while making better songs.
it's not new and improved, but i still like it alot.

The Deathray Davies Midnight At The Black Nail Polish Factory
and
I Love Math (solo effort from DRD's songwriter John Dufilho)
both great albums. these guys are an amazing band from Texas that
have gotten practically no hype or coverage for how good they are.
the I Love Math project is a more stripped down acousticly based
bunch of songs that reminds me alot of my friend Scott Garred from
Silver Scooter's side project, SuperXXMan.

TIARA The Summer...you know the title.
yes, i have no shame. i think this is our best album so i have no
problem listing it here in my top 10 best of 2003.

Grandaddy Sumday was also a favorite, but sorta lost it's steam right away
for me. i'm sure i'm forgetting alot. this is subject to change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:59 pm 
Godzilla