blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Band of Horses @ LC 10/5/10
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:01 am 
Snarf

I know a lot of people here don’t dig Band of Horses because they’re boring or whatever, but I’m a fan. I didn’t like the last record as much, but I thought it was a decent summer album and while it didn’t blow me away it had some nice moments. Live, I love this band…even the new stuff. The openers, though…

Blake Mills just wasn’t my thing. Some of his guitar work was good, but the moment he hinted we should be quiet (I’m always attentive, if not quiet) by thanking us for being so quiet I was ready to move on. It was like Jeff Tweedy solo without the amazing songs and rehab banter.

Brad came on next and played the same song for 45 minutes. Shawn was sick (as in “ill”, not as in “amazing”), so they were stuck pulling out all the quiet songs from their catalog to accommodate his voice, and it just all ran together. I love me some quiet music, but that doesn’t mean songs have to be flat. Stone Gossard tried to liven things up with occasional hopping. Hopping is cool, I guess.

BOH, with a few hiccups along the way, were really pretty fantastic. The opening tunes were super solid, though a few songs in it seemed like Mr. Bridwell wasn’t trusting his voice. He kept pulling away from the mic, letting the crowd hold the notes for him, but this soon stopped. They’ll never be a band that blows you away with their innovation or anything, but they’re homey and comforting to me in the same way my old Neil Young records are. I always know how they’ll sound, and they sound just like I want them to.