blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new merchandise lp
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:55 pm 
Godzilla

there are few things i keep up with, and as i'm horrible at keeping up with things, i end up late even with the things i do. keep up with.

but.

i've only missed this by 2 weeks.

so the last merchandise album (their first lp, after two - amazing - cassettes) took me a minute (and ended up one of my very favorite records of all the time after that minute). and this one is even more bizarre. in its less-bizarre-ness, actually. ten minutes in and seemingly gone are the muddled goth-grifters-isms of the last lp, replaced by the dancey anna ranger-isms of their schoolyard 45 (which seemed at the time a one-off experiment). even this far removed from the prisonshake clamor of those first two cassettes, i can't see how this won't be welcomed with heaving sighs of relief and peals of joy by everyone who still actually likes things.

http://icoulddietomorrow.blogspot.com/2 ... ndise.html

http://katorgaworks.bigcartel.com/produ ... -desire-lp

note: every merchandise record is available to download on that blog. with their blessing. if yr so inclined.

I'm not saying "faggy" because I don't like homosexuals, I happen to be a huge fan of Rob Halford, Ian Mckellen, and I'm pretty sure Kurt Cobain even said that he might be bisexual, hell I have a bisexual friend. I'm saying "faggy" to describe this guys voice.

Post subject: Re: new merchandise lp
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:35 pm 
Godzilla

I really wanted to like these guys. Picked up the Strange Songs in the Dark LP and was horribly disappointed. It probably deserves another listen as that was a while back.

Post subject: Re: new merchandise lp
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:47 pm 
Godzilla

"horribly disappointed"?

what were you expecting? (i'm asking honestly.)

having heard them around the time their second cassette was coming out, i got pretty enamored with their obscure early-90s midwestern-ish sound (prisonshake, silkworm, grifters, for lack of better reference), and was totally thrown for th proverbial loop after getting th 'strange songs' record in th mail. but after a few spins it grew on me in a big way and these days it's easily my favorite of their releases; i liken it somewhat to 'the herd' by the wipers, a record where there are catchy parts all over th place but they never hit you over th head or even hang around too long, so you can listen to it three or four times in a row without it wearing thin - and you want to 'cause th mood it conjures is so alluring.

sorry i'm a little purple prose-y about these guys but i can honestly think of less than ten bands that have destroyed me in the last decade or so and they're one of em. this new one, tho, it's weird - very electronic and very clean.

I'm not saying "faggy" because I don't like homosexuals, I happen to be a huge fan of Rob Halford, Ian Mckellen, and I'm pretty sure Kurt Cobain even said that he might be bisexual, hell I have a bisexual friend. I'm saying "faggy" to describe this guys voice.