[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - CD101 Friday Night Playlist 8.01.08

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CD101 Friday Night Playlist 8.01.08
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:59 pm 
Jet Jaguar

We are doing exteded sets (twofers and threefers) from Lollapalooza artists all weekend so that is reflected in tonights playlist. So are all the other shows going on this weekend. So the playlist is a little different tonight. Still a lot of fun though.

9pm hour

Frontstage 101 featuring LoPan (they will rule your face!)

Weezer - Pork And Beans
Jim Carroll Band - Catholic Boy
Radiohead - House Of Cards
Radiohead - Let Down
RC Mob - Timebomb
REM - Hollow Man
Elvis Costello - Lip Service
Alkaline Trio - Help Me
Beck - Gamma Ray

10pm hour

Pavement - Cut Your Hair
Pavement - Killing Moon
Pavement - Spit On A Stranger
Ism - Sacred Cows
Midnight Oil - The Dead Heart
Kinks - Apeman
Prodigals - Down With A Smile
Gnarls Barkley - Going On
Ramones - Cretin Family
Absentstar - Give In To Me
The Clash - Magnificent Seven
MIA - Paper Airplanes
Talking Heads - Life Durring Wartime
Atmosphere - You

11pm hour

The National - Fake Empire
The National - Abel
Black Kids - I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You
Elliott Smith - Son Of Sam
Cure - Caterpillar
Skybombers - It Goes Off
Low Vs Diamond - Heart Attack
Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies
Flogging Molly - Salty Dog
Flogging Molly - Float
Television - Marquee Moon
Spoon - You Got Your Cherry Bomb
Dr Dog - The Ark

Couples Skate (In the tradition of the Mancelona High School dances we end with a slow number):

The Smiths - Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want

Post subject: Re: CD101 Friday Night Playlist 8.01.08
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:31 am 
Jet Jaguar

Every time I hear that Black Kids song I have to remind myself it's not The Cure.

You can play the Kinks. Can you play The Zombies or The Easybeats?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:56 am 
Jet Jaguar

Oh, The Zombies and The Easybeats. That would be fun. It mostly depends on what I can find laying around. Due to all the crazy past incarnations of the station we have quite a range of things. I've done the 13th Floor Elevators before. I'll dig around and see what I can turn up.

btw thanks for all of the comments about last weeks playlist. It all helps. Oh and there was one question about "back catalog." Basically there are a few levels. Currents are the new things that we play all the time, after a few months, if it does okay we drop it down to "recurrent" where it plays with some regularity but not nearly as often. after few more months if people still seem to like it it may move into one of the library catagories with all of the Nirvana and White Stripes and things like that. After a while even the most beloved songs tire out and they take a little break from the playlist, mostly just so we have room for all of the new songs to filter through with everything rotating evenly. We add something like 150-200 new songs a year. Which for a rock station is just crazy. So to answer that question once things drop off is when I consider them back catalog.

Thanks again!
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:02 pm 
Mechagodzilla

so, b/c you're playing all that old stuff, is it necessary to play the new singles - like that Atmosphere or the Black Kids - to appease the ad buyers? it seems kinda like you get to play what you want, but then hafta throw in the new stuff to keep it marketable for the kids who maybe don't know Pavement or 13th Floor Elevators? doesn't seem like that bad of a compromise, actually, as long as they're not forcing you to play RHCP or Black Hole Sun every other song.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:51 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Well it's not so much to please advertisors as it is to hook in those younger listeners. Or those people who listen to CD101 as their second choice. It would be kind of a bummer to alienate half the audience on a friday night when people are out driving around having fun and have the radio on. So you try to throw them a bone now and then. So yeah, we hook em with Black Kids and while they're there introduce em to The Cramps or something. I really like that idea. I understand that not everybody is as nerdy as I am. I mean if you play me some old song I haven't heard before I get excited. But some people drift away if you don't give them something they know every few songs. Sometimes I'll try to split the difference by playing a lesser known song by a better known band too. It's truly a grand expirement. It's been really fun. And I hope it's fun to listen too.