blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:43 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Once you start charging for these CDs you might run into issues with covers.

If this were me doing it, and it's not, I'd just mass produce CDRs and distribute them like fucking crazy. Create your own mixes based on a pool of "sanctioned mp3s" and get them out there. Bars, coffee shops, libraries, comic book stores, the malls. Wherever.

Hit the city hard. Have the albums appear out of nowhere. Make it a cultural phenomenon, like crop circles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:09 pm 
King Ghidorah

Denver wrote:
Chip wrote:
Good point Zeppo. Denver can submit a cover if he wants.

Don't fall for it, Chip. That was just a little shot trying to stir me up. CM peeps can't seem to forget about me (Hence the: "I own you") remarks I use at cm.com.

I have originals. They will be heard soon enough.

wtf?
There are/were a number of musicians posting on CMcom who play in cover bands (when they're not too busy posting on oh-so-hilarious Covers vs Originals threads and/or arguing the relative merits of Gibsons vs Fenders) and they should get a fair shake in this. Chip said it was a valid point. End of story.
If you want to submit an original number then, by all means, do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:14 pm 
Mothra

I'll distro at school, ton's of "bands" and music freaks at Eastland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:25 pm 
Godzilla

I agree foto, that it should be free or $1 tops, but it would cover the basic cost of this thing.

I also think we should stick to audio CD-Rs as not everyone in your potential audience has an mp3 player or computer (I know it's hard to believe...) and people are more likely to just pop in a CD anyway. For "in person" distibution, we could still do multiple covers. Maybe a sticker on a cardboard sleeve (or printed)? maybe just a clear plastic sleeve-case with an insert in it?

I'm fine with giving it out free, but we'd need the band folks to chip in on the basic cost as you said.

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:28 pm 
Mothra

Wait for Staples (or whatever's close to that) to have cd-r's go on sale and get stacks of 100 for a buck. Then like someone else said have each band pitch in like $5 and sell the cd's for $1. Then you should have plenty of money to take care of other costs. Go with the plastic sleve idea and use 4 different images for the cover. PIZZA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:04 am 
King Ghidorah

theZeppo wrote:
Denver wrote:
Chip wrote:
Good point Zeppo. Denver can submit a cover if he wants.

Don't fall for it, Chip. That was just a little shot trying to stir me up. CM peeps can't seem to forget about me (Hence the: "I own you") remarks I use at cm.com.

I have originals. They will be heard soon enough.

wtf?
There are/were a number of musicians posting on CMcom who play in cover bands (when they're not too busy posting on oh-so-hilarious Covers vs Originals threads and/or arguing the relative merits of Gibsons vs Fenders) and they should get a fair shake in this. Chip said it was a valid point. End of story.
If you want to submit an original number then, by all means, do so.

Dude, if you seriously wasn't just trying to discredit me as I think you were, I AM SORRY. Otherwise, don't worry about me.

Covers do create a problem with copyright issues, so I don't think it is worth it.

If one was going to include covers, I think maybe it should be a dedicated covers CD. I like the idea discussed in another thread of a local band doing a tribute to a classic album by performing covers from it.

Being known for how well you perform covers in the context of this CD doesn't make sense. I would think this should be about introducing people to new, original music.

I would rather submit my originals, and if any are judged worthy of representing Columbus music, great. If not, oh well, back to the drawing board.

My opinion.

My love to you, ZEPPO.
:)

Alcohol makes me more want to do, what it makes me less capable of doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:07 am 
King Ghidorah

xbobx wrote:
Wait for Staples (or whatever's close to that) to have cd-r's go on sale and get stacks of 100 for a buck. Then like someone else said have each band pitch in like $5 and sell the cd's for $1. Then you should have plenty of money to take care of other costs. Go with the plastic sleve idea and use 4 different images for the cover. PIZZA!

Don't forget my powerful tribal covered chest representing powerful Columbus music, or, the "Crap" in "OH Crap".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:13 am 
Mothra

lol, whatever tickles your pickle Denver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:17 am 
King Ghidorah

xbobx wrote:
lol, whatever tickles your pickle Denver.

If only the chicks were so easy. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:43 am 
Jet Jaguar

I thought I should chime in here as some of you are reading my mind circa 2000-2001.

When we put together the first Cringe CD, some of our thoughts weren't too far from some of the thoughts here. However, to us it became important to distinguish the CD from most minimal samplers and compilations. We did that by including a 12 page booklet with a picture of each band and info on each song (band members, studio/recording credits, songwriting credits, contact info, photo credits, etc.). The cover and layout for each volume were done by a band, label or consultant involved in that particular volume.

I was also insistent that we include a different group of consultants to help pick bands/songs for each comp. For Volume 1 these were local labels (Anyway, Break-Up!, Derailleur, Diaphragm, Red Hour). The second comp was largely staff favorites and a those that were too late for Volume 1. Volume 3 aimed at more variety and experimentation so we brought in a couple consultants with backgrounds in more experimental and/or electronic music.

I'm still trying to decide on consultants for the fourth volume. I'm considering going with local music Web site reps and DJs. I've already recruited Aural-Innovations.com as there are a lot of submissions in their realm of focus. I've also let Duffy, Fat Johnny, and The Independent Playground know that i may be asking them to help. ColumbusMusic.com, Cowtownmusic.com, and OmniMIx.com, WCBE and a few others are also on my list, but I haven't mentioned anything to them yet. I want to make sure the consultancy spans the diversity found in the submissions we received - which is easier said than done. I hope to have decisions later this week. So if you have any suggestions, I'm open.

Other notes:

As far as covers go, it might make sense to make it the artists' responsibility to get permission to use the covers before considering them for inclusion.

The jewel boxes, booklets, tray cards and CD faces are often the major expense in pressing CDs. It might be fairly cheap to have very minimal CDs burned professionally then do some form of minimal packaging yourselves.

I'm not sure if any of that helps you or if it provides a better focus. But I did want to let you know that something similar is already in progress - Donewaiting and ColumbusMusic.com reps will very likely be asked to help with selecting tracks for the next Cringe comp.

Last edited by joel on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:11 am 
King Ghidorah

Honestly, I thought that this:
Quote:
Okay, so here's the idea -- I would like to put together a CD that, at least for the first volume, is made up of bands that readers of the Donewaiting and ColumbusMusic message boards are familiar with. This CD will not be directly affiliated with either of the sites but rather will be reflective of the bands that post on these message boards.

I'd like to get a fair representation from both sides. There are many bands that post on both sites and that's cool.

was more of a lark, an attempt to start a dialogue of sorts between the CM.com crowd and their hosts. Promote some intermingling.
My two cents: select the tracks and either make the whole thing (CD, cover, etc) downloadable from either DW, swizzle-stick, etc. or post it as streaming audio. Inexpensive and not subject to prosecution (unless xbob "remixes" Satanic Majestys with some Marilyn Manson CD).
If the two of you do decide to go balls out, you can't go wrong listening to Joel's advice above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:11 am 
King Ghidorah

Hey Joel! It sounds like you would have some experience to offer the ones that head up this project.

Damn! Info, credits and photos? That sounds like an expensive CD.

How did you fund those projects? Did you sell them, or offer them for free when distributing them? How did you distribute them? Are any still available? How fast does and African shallow tailed swift fly? What is the meaning of life?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:51 am 
Godzilla

denver

they hold cringe comp shows throughout the year that feature the bands on each disc. i believe the proceeds from these shows help offset the cost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:40 am 
Jet Jaguar

Benchmark Records has started manufacturing cd's.

here's the february special:
1000 REPLICATED RETAIL READY CD'S
IN JEWEL CASES WITH FULL COLOR 4/4 PRINTING
2 PANEL INSERT $ 999
4 PANEL INSERT $ 1099

i can't imagine that their march specials will be that much different.

http://www.benchmarkmanufacturing.com/

should you decide to go with them tell Mike Kenney i recommended you, and i'll donate 100 buttons to the project.

btw, love the title OH Crap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:44 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I think 1000 is way too ambitious. I'd feel more comfortable doing quantities of 100. I really think that while this is a great idea, it should really start as a grassroots thing, almost like a mix tape ring.

I also wanted to point out that what Joel does with the Cringe compilations is great and can truly serve as a model for what I (we) want to do.

I think Zeppo made the point, and he's totally right, that the whole idea isn't to represent the whole Columbus music scene or pick out the "best" bands, but rather to provide some sort of "soundtrack" to the DW and CM message boards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:49 am 
Godzilla

fotobass wrote:
Well, either it's a freebie or we sell it for a buck or two (literally one or two dollars) and it all goes to charity of choice.

Donate all proceeds to a worthy cause...duh :D

confuseddildo.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:59 am 
Jet Jaguar

either way, i want one. i can replicate a few up here and give them to friends!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:01 pm 
Mechagodzilla

I believe you can buy pre-printed cdr's from disc makers somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-80 bucks for a 100.00. Not a bad dealio. Then we'll dub them off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:35 pm 
Mothra

theZeppo wrote:
(unless xbob "remixes" Satanic Majestys with some Marilyn Manson CD).

Why do you try to make me seem like some teeny bopper MTV kid?

Post subject: Re: OH Crap CD Compilation (Vol.1) Discussion
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:41 am 
Mothra

Chip wrote:
Okay, so here's the idea -- I would like to put together a CD that, at least for the first volume, is made up of bands that readers of the Donewaiting and ColumbusMusic message boards are familiar with. This CD will not be directly affiliated with either of the sites but rather will be reflective of the bands that post on these message boards.

I'd like to get a fair representation from both sides. There are many bands that post on both sites and that's cool.

Just for the record, regardless of your "status" is on either board, I want to consider using one of your songs for the CD. In other words, Denver, while a lot of people might not think you represent the CM.com board, I would like to include one of your ORIGINAL songs on the CD. As mentioned, I want the first volume to be representative of the people that post on the boards.

Unpossibles (Don) and I are going to spearhead this CD. Any input you'd like to provide would be valuable but ultimately we're the two taking responsibility for putting everything together.

Perhaps to make things easy for all of us, if you consider yourself a regular CM.com poster, send a PM to Unpossibles to express your interest in contributing to the CD. If you consider yourself a regular DW.com poster, send me a PM. If you think you're neutral, go ahead and PM whoever you want.

To insure that this doesn't become just another stale project that we talk about but never actually move on, let's say that you have to PM one of us by next Friday, March 5. We'll give you some submission details as soon as we have them ironed out but we want to find out who is interested.

Please don't use this thread to say "Hey, my band wants to be on the CD." Use this thread to discuss the idea of the CD.

I would be happy to master this for you guys;) Sounds like a great idea.......watch out though, that Joel guy from Cringe might steal your idea!

Pauly

Post subject: Re: OH Crap CD Compilation (Vol.1) Discussion
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:45 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

pauly wrote:
I would be happy to master this for you guys;) Sounds like a great idea.......watch out though, that Joel guy from Cringe might steal your idea!

Thanks. Joel is aware of the idea and I think he's cool with it. We're not trying to step on his toes. Really, what I want to do is showcase the bands that post on the DW and CM boards. I know that I've been somewhat of a DW elitist and support the bands that post here. It's not that I don't like the bands on CM.com but I've never gone out of my way to listen to many of them. However, I have discovered that there are some really good bands that post there (Unpossibles, Wigglepussy) and I'd love to have a CD that can kind of bridge the gap between the two sites.

Post subject: Makin' it available
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:29 pm 
Godzilla

Why not go the extra step and just put the whole thing online for download? That way you bypass all production material costs, and the only thing you need is the work for the cover art and songs. Just a thought.

You could at least make it available online, but then pass some out at shows as well, or leave it to the bands themselves to download, burn and print for their own private distribution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:37 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

We've tossed that idea around but am not sure where we could host it that could handle a big hit should a ton of people decided to download it. I think what may happen is we make CDs and make the cover available as a download. That will save us some money. Details should be ironed out later this week. AND, Mr.DB3, would you be interested in putting a track on the CD?

Post subject: Downloadable album
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:43 pm 
Godzilla

Chip wrote:
We've tossed that idea around but am not sure where we could host it that could handle a big hit should a ton of people decided to download it. I think what may happen is we make CDs and make the cover available as a download. That will save us some money. Details should be ironed out later this week. AND, Mr.DB3, would you be interested in putting a track on the CD?

Yep, we're in. (I'll e-mail you in a sec.) I'll check around for hosting options. Seems like there are enough of us so that we could all give up a little hosting space to bring this thing together (many sites to host them all, one site to find them).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:56 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Alright DW.comers. I've seen a list of bands that are "ColumbusMusic.com friendly" that want to contribute and the list is lengthy. I was kind of hoping to make this a split CD. Can't do that until some of you say you want to contribute a song.