[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Game of Thrones, S1

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game of Thrones, S1
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:43 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

It took me awhile to warm up to the series, but I am totally hooked. Season finale tonight.

NO SPOILERS FROM YOU BOOK NERDS

Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones, S1
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:54 pm 
Mechagodzilla

been hooked from the start. dude! bitch hatched dragons! Cant wait for the foreshadowed supernatural next season!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:51 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Yeah, Dragon Lady is awesome.

I am torn between enjoying this work of fiction as a television series or jumping ahead and getting the books. I loved the show - experiencing all the surprises that way...

but the books.. I can find out what to do next!!!

#firstworldproblems

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:37 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Holy shit balls.

Can Season 2 start next week??????????

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:35 pm 
Godzilla

easily show of the year.

every single episode ended in a holy shit moment (or 3) that never once seemed forced. it was the most natural flow (of constant tragedy) a tv has ever had.

i want so badly for season 2 to start like the week after comfest . . .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:08 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:04 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

So I did struggle for a long time with the DO I OR DO I NOT READ THE GAME OF THRONES books… In the end I decided to read the books because I knew I would still love them. I mean, whenever I hear they are making a book or a graphic novel into a movie that I love I am still super excited.. See: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy as example. And since HBO showed Game of Thrones is gonna be top quality, I decided to just get the books and take the plunge.

So, the first book, Game of Thrones, was a great read. It was good to see that the TV series did not really go in strange directions compared to the book, nor did it cut out huge parts of the book or even change major things (in the show). But by reading the book everything came a little more alive… I understood motives a little more, things just seemed to come together better. I would compare it by saying Game of Thrones HBO series was standard definition, but the book was like rewatching it in super High Definition and notcing a whole host of other details.

I devoured the second book and now I just started the third book.

So I would recommend them, absolutely. Especially now you can get the first 4 books in a set for just $20. The fifth book just came out this week too so there's lots of reading ahead.

Amazon set: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/034552 ... 878&sr=8-1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:30 am 
Godzilla

i think my decision on that one is i'm gonna watch each season, then read that book during the down time. kinda like watching the commentary the next day, yaknow? like what you're saying about the book being in HD. i just got a loaner from a friend, so i'm digging in to book1 soon.

oh yeah, and then there's this . . .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:01 pm 
Mechagodzilla

I had a Border's gift card and I saw that they were going out of business, so I ordered the 4 paperback set for $20. I also was waffling on reading the books, but, hey, the books are almost always better, right? Vacation is coming and I needed some books to go, so...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:14 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:28 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:08 am 
Godzilla

why do i wanna be at comic-con right now?

this:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:29 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

hilarious..

Just started book four..... And we have the monster book 5 on deck as well.

1-4 were the small brick paperbacks... Book 5 is the new one.. Hardcover.. Basically an entire cement truck compared to these bricks. I fear it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:15 am 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:22 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:40 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Just finished book 5.

~5000 pages of wolves and lions and dragons (oh my) in about 6 weeks. Holy shit, that was an epic marathon reading session. My wife is also hooked, she's a book behind.

Now, if only he writes a little quicker than the glacier pace the last two were released in (2 books in 12 years) we'll be alright. For my graphic gift, I give you this world map, because it is never presented in full form in any of the books:

http://gamesofthrones.com/wp-content/up ... ld_Map.jpg