[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - PS3

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PS3
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:39 pm 
Godzilla

OK. TOTAL NOOOOOOB.

questions-too lazy to research.

Will it play DivX discs?

Game recommendations? (I have Tiger Woods '08)

I currently have 3 HDMI+optical audio connections to make, and my display only has 2 HDMI and 1 Optical audio outputs:

1. DVD/surround receiver
2. PS3
3. AppleTV

Is there an elegant way to connect these together (HDMI switcher, etc...)? Maybe I'm missing something. I'd also like to leave room for a possible future cable/direcTV box.

Do the Bluetooth controllers work well?

Post subject: Re: PS3
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:26 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:53 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:08 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:29 pm 
Godzilla

Playstation store: Much more user friendly than I anticipated. A little light on content though. 1080 Trailers look astounding. Killin the ATV trailers...though the downloadable ones on the Apple site are comparable. I think Apple's really stretchin it when it comes to the quality of the stuff offered from the ATV.

Downloading Joust right now. Sweet.

I think I might take it off the wireless network and run an ethernet cable. It seems to be slowing down my network (802n).

I bought the Psyclone 4-port HDMI+TOSlink switcher. Just about everything is set up through HDMI and surround. Games like Call of Duty have to be mind-blowing in surround.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:39 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:38 am 
Jet Jaguar

I tend to like first-person shooters, but here's my favorite PS3 games to date:

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Resistance: Fall of Man
The Orange Box
Unreal Tournament III

Upcoming games that should be good/sound promising/have lots of buzz:

Grand Theft Auto IV (April 29th)
Haze (May 20th)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (June 12th)
Battlefield: Bad Company (June 23rd)
Killzone 2 (September 2008)
Little Big Planet (September 2008)
SOCOM: Confrontation (TBA 2008)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:53 pm 
Godzilla

buy the game PAIN from the online store.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:30 pm 
Godzilla

Warren Ellis: I have a soft spot for it. It's the compost bin at the end of my garden. And there's plenty of room in there for it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:17 am 
Mechagodzilla

Finally, more PS3 people! add me to your online friends: plong. That goes for anyone on here that reads this post.

Like Bastard noted, I've been playing the hell out of Motorstorm for the last 13 months. It is (and I am a lifelong gamer, back to the 2600) the most fun I've ever had with a racing game. Online racing is challenging and heart-thumping. It is kind of dying down now, but MS2 was just announced, and it looks bad-azz:

Ratchet and Clank was big-time fun. Resistance: Fall of Man was the big release must-have, but it's a pretty standard FPS. R:FOM 2 was also just announced. I've heard COD4 is the shizzle if you're into that kind of thing.

Right now I'm stuck on this crazy downloadable game from the PS store called PixelJunk Monsters. It's a "tower defense against waves of enemies" game, but it's freaking addicting.

Oh, and also NHL08, because there should at least be some alternate universe where the CBJ makes the playoffs, right?

And Bastard (as always) is right about monoprice.com. I bought the HDMI switcher from there, a year ago it was 75% cheaper than anywhere else. And their HDMI cables are 80% cheaper.

Anybody want to swap/borrow some games? I'd be willing to trade Resistance, Motorstorm, or Marvel Ultimate Alliance for something...we can trade back, let's save money though. $60 is a lot to pay for games!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:21 am 
Jet Jaguar

I picked up Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and I'm really enjoying it. Much better than the first one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:36 am 
Godzilla

So I bought a 500GB portable drive figuring I could convert all of my .mkv HD rips and recordings and have them on the PS3. Unfortunately, it only supports FAT32 formatted drives, and FAT32 has a 4GB file limit. :cry:

Also found a cool tool for removing the .mkv containers (and making them compatible with the PS3.) I've been looking for an app to do that for quite a while--almost makes it worth having to use bootcamp and boot into Windows. :oops: :oops:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=131782

So I'm pretty much stuck with HD rips under 4GB and all of my XviD TV episodes. Which is cool, but not as cool as a hard drive full of HD movies. I'm wondering if they're using this on purpose because of the limitations. Sounds like something stupid Sony would do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:10 am 
Godzilla

so, over the weekend i picked up one of columbus' first "dualshock 3" controllers, and lemme tell ya (i'm looking at you, plong) as much as motorstorm was the perfect game to show you how much better the ps3 was at pretty graphics, it's also the perfect game for showing you how much more intricate the action is on the dualshock3's vibrations. it's amazing. in both power, and subtlety. and it's panning. the separation of vibration channels is amazing. if the ps2's vibration was stereo, this is definitely 5.1 . . . and it makes motorstorm a whole new game.

but to be honest, what it's benefited most is i can actually feel me blowing my self up with the rocket launcher in san andreas again. i dug it out after ratchet&clank, cuz as beautiful and fun as that was, i just wanted a bunch of random violence for a while. been a minute since i killed a cop, yaknow? plus i'm reading far too much press for gta4 right now . . .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:00 am 
Godzilla

Warren Ellis: I have a soft spot for it. It's the compost bin at the end of my garden. And there's plenty of room in there for it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:05 am 
Jet Jaguar

GTA is going to be amazing and will likely be the game that ends my COD4 addiction. The new Dualshock 3 controllers are amazing as well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:43 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:25 am 
Mechagodzilla

As an "audio output moron", does HDMI handle all the best types of audio streams? Or is there some reason to have some tos-link optical something or other? What up?

On the game front, I'm pretty much biding my time for HAZE, which is the direct descendant of Goldeneye>Perfect Dark>Timesplitters.

I am also going to go rent the game Ratatouie today and play it with my daughter. I think I played so much Motorstorm because she could watch and I wasn't worried I was causing her brain damage from gory violence LOL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:43 pm 
Godzilla

new update this week, and a totally redesigned PSstore. it's more user-friendly (read: looks more like xboxlive) but seemed to load things slower. maybe that was just a coincidence. but last night thumbnails for videos and shit loaded really slowly. but the store IS more fluid to scan thru . . .

and heavenly sword is fun, but totally disposable. this will be the 1st ps3 game that i will definitely trade or sell since i got the system.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:15 pm 
Godzilla

any opinions on PS3's online service vs. xbox live?

I may very well pick up a system just for GTA4 and i'm leaning towards PS3 just because the online is free (and it'll be nice to have a blu-ray down the road i guess) but i don't really have much of a preference other than that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:41 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:49 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:35 pm 
Jet Jaguar

I'm definitely a PS3 fan. Free online gameplay, Blu-Ray capability, etc. I find myself playing online far more than I do playing single player games. I haven't noticed any problems with using the PS3 for online gaming. I've played Resistance: Fall of Man, both Rainbow Six Vegas games, Unreal Tournament 3, Call of Duty 4, and Team Fortress 2 (from The Orange Box) online and they have all typically worked great. The only game that I experience a lot of lag on is Team Fortress 2. It just seems like the EA servers aren't very good. I have my PS3 set up on a wireless Internet connection and haven't really felt the need to switch to a wired connection. Grand Theft Auto comes out in about 2 weeks and will have a multiplayer component and Metal Gear Solid 4 will be out in June, also with a multiplayer component. I'm getting my hands on the online multiplayer part of Metal Gear Solid next week so I'll post my impressions of it. As far as Blu-Ray discs, so far I only have the Blade Runner 5-disc set and the Kubrick films (2001, Clockwork Orange, Shining, Full Metal Jacket, and Eyes Wide Shut) and they all look stunning.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:10 am 
Mechagodzilla

While we talkin movies, I am compelled to point out that Blu-Ray: Planet Earth is a-mazing.

Also, the last NIN tour was shot using all high-def cameras and was released in Blu-Ray, I got the only copy they had on release day at Best Buy, it's pretty sick.

Blockbuster (which i hate) has Blu-Ray(which i like) so i go there now. boo on me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:19 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:10 am 
Godzilla