blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OH Crap CD Compilation (Vol.1) Discussion
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:49 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Okay, so here's the idea -- I would like to put together a CD that, at least for the first volume, is made up of bands that readers of the Donewaiting and ColumbusMusic message boards are familiar with. This CD will not be directly affiliated with either of the sites but rather will be reflective of the bands that post on these message boards.

I'd like to get a fair representation from both sides. There are many bands that post on both sites and that's cool.

Just for the record, regardless of your "status" is on either board, I want to consider using one of your songs for the CD. In other words, Denver, while a lot of people might not think you represent the CM.com board, I would like to include one of your ORIGINAL songs on the CD. As mentioned, I want the first volume to be representative of the people that post on the boards.

Unpossibles (Don) and I are going to spearhead this CD. Any input you'd like to provide would be valuable but ultimately we're the two taking responsibility for putting everything together.

Perhaps to make things easy for all of us, if you consider yourself a regular CM.com poster, send a PM to Unpossibles to express your interest in contributing to the CD. If you consider yourself a regular DW.com poster, send me a PM. If you think you're neutral, go ahead and PM whoever you want.

To insure that this doesn't become just another stale project that we talk about but never actually move on, let's say that you have to PM one of us by next Friday, March 5. We'll give you some submission details as soon as we have them ironed out but we want to find out who is interested.

Please don't use this thread to say "Hey, my band wants to be on the CD." Use this thread to discuss the idea of the CD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:58 pm 
King Ghidorah

check your pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:04 pm 
Godzilla

Well, the cover art should be a fun collaboration…as there is already a colorful history of poster art created for dw.com functions being…uh…"modified" for use by a cm.com band. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:10 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Ha, that's funny. That's actually not a bad idea, a collaborative effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:11 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Excellent. Thanks for sparking some serious discussion :wink:. I'd also thought of doing something like this (as I'm sure a lot of people here have), but obviously I've got my hands full at the moment, so I'm glad someone's on it.

Question set #1: what are your ideas for pressing/distribution? Are you intending to make them available free of charge or pay-only? If pay, then what are you thinking of charging?

I'd gladly sell/give away/plug such a disc at any shows I organize.

Question set #2: exactly who is eligible for this? You've dubbed it "OH crap" - does that mean all bands in Ohio can submit? Or is this aimed primarily at Columbus artists?

When I was kicking ideas of this sort around with myself, one of the thoughts I had was to make either a two-disc or sort of a two-sided disc compilation; the first half would be Columbus music, the second half would be friends of Columbus music. That is, one half c-bus locals, one half out-of-town locals.

Question set #3: what are your (or anyone's) thoughts on how artists will be selected for the comp?

I've got nothing to offer on that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:17 pm 
Mothra

I think each band should have a picture for cover art that represents their band (within reason) for a collage. Since pizza seems to always be around Athium Satanus when we record, it'd be cool to have a picture of a piece of pizza.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:24 pm 
King Ghidorah

Yo Chip...I'll be happy to help any way I can as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:33 pm 
Godzilla

cool. Already have some responses. By the way, when responding, please let us know what specific song.

Chip and I need to talk about it, but I see it as making a master list of songs/bands interested, figuring out if that list will fit on one disk, and if not, how to handle a double or a series or whatever is necessary.

For now, just keep the replies coming, and tell me what song, where I can hear it if you have it hosted somewhere, and maybe how long it is (although I can figure that out when we listen to it).

I originally saw this as all Ohio, but starting with a local disk is better. Maybe eventually doing OH Get the Crap Out or whatever for other Ohio bands.

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:37 pm 
Mothra

Sounds cool to me. It's cool to see something like this actually going on!!! A CD party is a definite must.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:23 pm 
King Ghidorah

blammo wrote:
Well, the cover art should be a fun collaboration…as there is already a colorful history of poster art created for dw.com functions being…uh…"modified" for use by a cm.com band. LOL

With my nude chest dominating the cover! That would really sell it!

Relax! I am kidding...sorta. :wink:

Alcohol makes me more want to do, what it makes me less capable of doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:52 pm 
Mothra

Ha Denv, we get enough of that on cm.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:53 pm 
Godzilla

Listen to your own advice, Bobbypants, ignore.

In fact, if there an ignore option on here?

confuseddildo.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:55 pm 
Mothra

no Annie I wasn't tarding or fighting...maybe we should have a voice board and we record what we say....but then whoever is listening in on us would wonder what the hell is going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:32 pm 
King Ghidorah

I know you weren't tarding XBOBX.

ANNNDDDD Back to the topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:18 pm 
King Ghidorah

Serious question: why specify that Denver submit an original? If your aim is to truly represent the CM board you're gonna need at least one cover band performing a cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:24 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Good point Zeppo. Denver can submit a cover if he wants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:26 pm 
Godzilla

Don't you run into copyright issues when you include a cover tune? Or…does giving this thing away circumvent those kinda problems?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:29 pm 
King Ghidorah

blammo wrote:
Don't you run into copyright issues when you include a cover tune? Or…does giving this thing away circumvent those kinda problems?

The latter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:34 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

That's part of the reason I only wanted originals, to avoid any sort of hassle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:46 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I hope that this idea comes together, without the help of either donewaiting.com or columbusmusic.com pushing it through.

Power to the people, and all that stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:51 pm 
Godzilla

I think since another aspect is representing the local music "scene" (or whatever you want to call it) or local songwriting, maybe a cover by a band from Central(ish) Ohio would be OK in my book if it's legal. And to be honest, I think we could sell them for cheap (donate the profits to Hamster Chow or something).... but that again changes the legal issues.

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:02 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Not to get all nutty and on everyone but this is a great idea!!!! I know we all have some contempt for the music industry (or major labels to be more specific) but I have some kick ass connections. Just moved back to C-Bus from "HEL"L.A. and would love to send something to my label peeps out there who are starving for good music. Most of them have to fucking sign what the asshole six figure fuck that sits on his ass and still thinks it's 1979 likes... I digress. I was very lucky to meet some GREAT people out there that I still keep in touch with. Just a thought.... would love to help!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:15 pm 
King Ghidorah

Chip wrote:
Good point Zeppo. Denver can submit a cover if he wants.

Don't fall for it chip. That was just a little shot trying to stir me up. Cm peeps can't seem to forget about me (Hince the: "I own you") remarks I use at cm.com.

I have originals. They will be heard soon enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:30 pm 
King Ghidorah

Well, either it's a freebie or we sell it for a buck or two (literally one or two dollars) and it all goes to charity of choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:37 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I guess how we decide to distribute it (how much, if anything, we want to charge) depends on whether or not bands want to pitch in a few bucks to be included on the CD. It is going to cost a few bucks to buy the CDs, if nothing else. As far a cover goes, I have an idea. I was thinking maybe multiple people could submit a CD cover and then we could make them available for download from somewhere. That way, each person that buys (or is given) a CD can choose their own cover. That wouldn't cost us anything.