[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Would you be more likely to go see a band if ....

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Would you be more likely to go see a band if ....
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:37 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

... you knew the setlist in advance?

All the Smashing Pumpkins reviews recently have gotten me thinking ... people seem to be pissed that their set consists primarily of stuff from the most recent album (call it the Pumpkins 'Chinese Democracy' is you want since it's basically a Corgan solo album). If the fans knew in advance that the set would be 80% new material with just 3 or 4 "greatest hits" tossed in, would all the shows be selling out? People wouldn't have the right to complain after the show if they knew the setlist in advance. Of course, that would also remove some element of surprise.

Jimmy Eat World announced a 10-date tour in February in which they'll be playing (in my opinion) their best album, Clarity, start to finish to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of it's release. I own all their stuff but found the most recent album to be disappointing. If I'm going to go see them, I'd like to hear older stuff. If the Clarity-revisited tour was hitting anywhere in Ohio, I'd go without hesitation.

The Toadies came through town recently. I am not terribly familiar with their older stuff but the stuff I've heard didn't totally blow me away the way the new stuff does. I was really bummed I had to miss their show but I heard that they only did 2 or 3 new songs so I'm sure I would have been upset had I been able to make it.

Last example ... I love Superchunk's 'Foolish'. Love it - think it's one of the best albums of the mid-80s alt/indie rock world. I don't really know the rest of their stuff all that well though I do own maybe 2 or 3 other CDs. I saw them do a reunion show at SXSW a few years back and really only recognized one songs from 'Foolish' and felt a bit disappointed that I had spent an hour watching them just to hear one song when I could have probably seen a dozen other bands during that same time slot that would have left me feeling more satisfied.

So, I ask, would knowing the setlist in advance of bands that play venues like the Newport or bigger (because I imagine bands doing tours in venues like this have pre-determined setlists rather than making stuff up on the spot or tossing something in should it strike their fancy if they are playing at Ravari Room or The Summit) help you make a decision on whether or not you'd go see a band? And, if your favorite band was playing a set of all new stuff when you only really wanted to see their old stuff, would you skip the show?

Post subject: Re: Would you be more likely to go see a band if ....
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:54 am 
Godzilla

I think it just depends on the band and the way the person feels about their music over time. Some bands I would go see regardless of the setlist (i'm really looking forward to NIN on monday even thought the setlist is heavy on my least favorite NIN stuff). I haven't seen tim easton in ages because I don't really care for his newer stuff but if you told me he was doing all older stuff I'd make a hell of a road trip to see it.

Warren Ellis: I have a soft spot for it. It's the compost bin at the end of my garden. And there's plenty of room in there for it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:49 am 
Godzilla

That could go the opposite way too. I have been annoyed many times by not hearing the "Hit" at a show or any songs off the record or whatever. Remember when Flock of Seagulls refused to play I RAN??

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:03 am 
Mechagodzilla

only if they will be playing an album in full, wish more bands did that. Other then that, dont care what songs they pick, its fun to be surprised. Would not want to always know I wont hear the song I really want to.

Destroying intellectual freedom is always evil, but only religion makes doing evil feel quite so good. - P. Pullman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:18 am 
King Ghidorah

I guess I never went to see bands because I like "this song" or "that album", but because either someone I trusted told me I had to see this band live, or because I already respect their body of work. I know that puts me in the minority when it comes to mid-level to big time bands fan base.

I guess I just don't see why I would want to see a band go through the motions to play a song just because "the fans want it". Great, so I get a half-assed version of "Creep" at a Radiohead show? What a waste of time. Even if it was my favorite song, I don't want them to play it if THEY don't want to play it. I want to see great music being played live by people who are happy to be playing it.

I go to see bands because I like what they do in general, and if they only have one album or song that I like I'm not going to waste my money to see them maybe play a few tunes I enjoy.

I try not to look at set lists at all if possible, but sometimes I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:53 am 
King Ghidorah

Hell no. Element of surprise.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:02 pm 
Snarf

These are the songs the Toadies played at Webster Hall in NYC on Nov 6th. This is not the set list. I broke the songs up into the albums they where from. Yes most of the songs are from their Platinum selling album Rubberneck, but they did play a fair amount of songs from the new one. As far as I know they have been playing six (6) songs from No Deliverance, the other song being Flower. At my show they played five (5) songs. Your source is mistaken.

Send You To Heaven. The song I would give my right nut to see them play live.

Rubberneck
Mexican Hairless
Backslider
Happy Face
I Burn
Quitter
Away
Possum Kingdom
Mister Love
I Come From the Water
Tyler

HB/SA
Little Sin
Sweetness
Pressed Against the Sky
Plane Crash
Push the Hand
Dollskin

No Deliverance
So Long Lovey Eyes
No Deliverance
Song I Hate
Man of Stone
Hell in High Water

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:55 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:16 pm 
Godzilla

Iron Maiden did two consecutive "oldies" tours, one featuring tunes from the first 4 albums, and the next tour was basically from the following 4 albums. Everyone knew it in advance, and it was really something to get excited about (assuming you like old Iron Maiden). It was great for me as I am their worst nightmare as far as new material goes…hearing them play stuff from '83 makes me feel like a 7th grader again, but hearing their new material just makes me feel old…as I would not really be into that stuff now. :whistle:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:17 pm 
Snarf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:29 pm 
Mothra

So, I feel like the real question is......what is more important to a listener, the band and performance, or the particular music within any one show. For me, definitely the band and performance. I continue to catch Two Cow quite often, but I have to admit disappointment that I'm rarely hearing any of the earlier material. I can imagine several reasons why that is, but it doesn't matter. I see it as their choice for the moment. I'm not interested in live music at a level where a band's intent is to craft and deliver whatever they think the audience wants to hear (I think that this tends to be roughly analogous with venue size, but not completely). I think that's the difference between musical art and musical entertainment. A movie is pre-constructed. I can enjoy it for the story it delivers, and/or how it's delivered. But it's the exact same package for everyone else that sees the same movie, no matter when or where. I love the spontaneity potential live music performance offers, and that each one is unique (or at least has the potential; you don't know until it goes down). Some will be better, some worse. If Micah, or whoever, is playing what they want, I have to think the delivery will be more authentic, and in turn reflect however they are feeling at the time (and reacting to the audience at the time). I'd rather have the authentic show with material I was less jizzed about than my favorite tracks lined up all nice like.

Specifically, if a set list was available ahead of time, I just wouldn't look. But amongst the kinds of bands I see, I don't see that happening anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:38 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:47 am 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:09 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:34 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:30 pm 
If I was a true fan of the band and I loved all of their music, then yeah... I still would. But it is definitely more fun to not know what song is coming up next.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:17 pm 
Mechagodzilla