[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - God Damn You Billy Corgan...

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: God Damn You Billy Corgan...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:20 pm 
Godzilla

Louie Louie...

Sloopy...

Monster Mash...

The Gambler?!

those were not my vidjeos... i just found them on the internets.
ummm... i'm gonna hafta agree with most of you and say... if this were 1993, i would be shocked and disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:22 pm 
Mechagodzilla

It doesn't sound like the actual show last night in Cleveland was any better:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:16 pm 
Snarf

The Smashing Pumpkins’ Slow Descent Into Hell (not in a good way) - Represented on a Scale of 1-10

Gish – 7
Siamese Dream – 9.5
Pisces Iscariot – 8
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness – 10
Aeroplane Flies High – 9
Adore – 6
Machina – 7
Machina Tour, Hara Arena 4/21/00 – 9.5
Machina II – 2
Rotten Apples – 5
(Future Embrace – 3)
Zeitgeist – 4
20th Anniversary Tour, Newport 10/31/08 - 1

I've missed the Pumpkins play live the last couple of times I had an opportunity to see them because I was less than impressed with recent releases. But hearing that they were embarking on a 20th Anniversary Tour I thought "this sounds like they are planning to celebrate their past accomplishments and strong song catalog". No such luck

I am no longer a Billy Corgan fan and now I need a new username.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:18 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:32 pm 
Godzilla

between rock in a hard place and pump i saw aerosmith at least a half dozen times, and knew deep down in my soul that's EXACTLY what rockandroll should be like. but pump was also the album that let me know that i'd NEVER bother listening to another of their albums again, and it'd just be a letdown to see them again.

if they just promised me there'd be no songs from like '86-forward, i'd pay more money than i ever have to see a concert. but other than that, no thanks . . .

but not even if ac/dc personally asked me to make up the setlist would i pay to see them again. why the hell would i want to hear all those amazing bon scott songs ruined by grampa marlboro-carton? god, his voice just sucks. and it always has. . .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:35 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:25 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:22 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Every generation gets the Uncle Fester it deserves.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:49 pm 
Snarf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:39 pm 
Snarf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:24 am 
Donewaiting Comfest Commitee Liaison

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:13 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:15 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Chicago last night
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... 0835.story

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:04 pm 
King Ghidorah

"My brother's Municipal League baseball team is named the Stepdads. Seeing as none of the guys on the team are actual stepdads, I inquired about the name. He explained, "Cuz we beat you, and you hate us."
-unknown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:15 pm 
Jet Jaguar

SP are done.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/n ... a-shitshow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:34 pm 
Godzilla

wow billy's a dick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:48 pm 
King Ghidorah

You beat me to posting that pitchfork video, cdubya.

I don't think there's any question that Corgan's new material falls far below his earlier stuff...but this whole Pumpkins backlash is whiny bullshit.

Especially, with some of you posting your experiences about semi-meeting Corgan in some bar. It's funny...all of you who met him for a couple minutes and think he's a dick don't seem to like his music all that much either. Maybe one of your opinions affects the other?? And so what if Iha and Wretzky were nice to you at a fucking bar? It's a bar. I don't make any assumptions on anyone's character at a bar of all places. In fact, alot of people that were friendly to me one night end up being assholes later on...and vice versa.

The Pumpkins have every right to play whatever the hell they want. A true testament to Corgan's character will be to see what happens if he loses half his fanbase and is relegated to being just another rock band. Does he keep making music? Does he go off on even weirder tangents than in the above video? It'll show if he has good intentions or not.

Corgan definitely didn't do himself any favors by having that 9 minutes bitchfest...but regardless, fuck that pitckfork guy who wrote that blurb. Writers like that lie in wait licking their chops to step on someone who starts showing cracks in popularity.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:00 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:14 pm 
King Ghidorah

Well for starters: this thread. 3/4 of it is an attack on the Pumpkins material and setlist. Corgan's character didn't come into play until later on.

And besides Corgan and the Pumpkins being a running joke of alot of indie bloggers and magazines, there is a general auidence hostility towards them. The fact that Billy even let a fan up on stage to shout "your last album sucked" into the microphone" is more than most frontmen would have even considered. In fact, I bet alot of your heroes would have done alot worse to that dude than just make a snotty joke.

So no, I'm not defending Billy being a dick, because I don't really think he's being one in comparison to the media and alot of his ex-fans.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:33 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:06 am 
King Ghidorah

Yeah, sorry, that kid did say "last night's show sucked." But it doesn't change anything. How did Billy know what the kid was going to say before he invited him on stage? He didn't know the dude was going to yell that in the mic with all the aplomb of a drunk frat boy. At least he extended the courtesy of giving the kid a stage.

The fact that the kid declined Billy's offer to refund his tickets just means the kid had a little bit of class rather than none. Smashing Pumpkins shows have rarely, if ever, been sweaty, ballstothewall, beerslinging affairs. It's art-rock, and it always has been, as much as alot of people here might despise that term. Corgan has always taken himself way too seriously, and that used to be why alot of people loved him and his music...and it's a big reason why I still love the Pumpkins.

Times have changed, the evolution of hipsters has happened, and the iconic, larger-than-life artrockers like Corgan are running into a completely different attitude from their fans than they were used to nine years ago. It seems that Billy is just now figuring out he's not performing at the Metro in 1996 anymore, and the name Smashing Pumpkins just doesn't carry the weight it once did.

I still will always admire bands like the Pumpkins, Radiohead, My Bloody Valentine, Jesus MC, Pixies, Interpol etc. who still present a largerthanlife image more than I will this generation of Hold Steady's, Wolf Parade and your random garage act.

That's why I wish Billy would just shut up and play...because I really don't give a shit if he's a nice guy or not. His music spoke and still speaks to me, and I want to be filled with the same sense of wonderment and detachment I used to get listening and watching his band.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:29 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I have paid many times to see SP live. I have enjoyed every single show very much except the last time they played Promowest. I think the new album blows and they played too many songs from it.

I wasn't at the Halloween show, but when you go and specifically say that certain shows are about the old songs, or acoustic, then trick the audience, it's weak as hell.

I've never minded the fact that Corgan is a dick... heck, I SAW ZWAN LIVE TWICE AND LIKED IT. But ever since his solo album tanked (so bad PS) he has been a dick x 4 and it's really lame... and sad because I've been supporting him and the Pumpkins for a long time, even when many people abandoned him.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:30 am 
Godzilla

i heard 'today is the greatest day' in a bar in the west village tonite :?

SP tix for the nyc shows were $150 :? :?

i watched steve albini pay a guy $20 dollars to leave a venue because the dude called him 'gay.' it only took about a minute..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:13 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:03 pm 
King Ghidorah

stumbled upon this, thought someone might want to re-live some memories

Smashing Pumpkins SBD 10.31.08

Setlist:
Disc 1
Set 1
1. Louie Louie 4:07
2. Hang on Sloopy 5:58
3. Monster Mash 5:44
4. Wipe Out 3:22
5. Ginger's Raga 6:39
6. The Gambler 11:44
7. Lizard Blues 7:33
8. In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida 6:15
9. Ginger's Raga Returns 3:07
Set 2
10. Tarantula 5:02
11. G.L.O.W. 4:01
12. Siva 9:00
13. Speed Kills 5:22

Disc 2
1. SuperChrist 9:42
2. As Rome Burns 3:47
3. The Sound Of Silence 9:31
4. A Song For A Son 9:00
5. Today 3:23
6. Bullet With Butterfly Wings 3:54
7. Heavy Metal Machine* 15:08
Encore
8. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun 21:40

Show Notes:
Special Halloween mock acoustic first set, electric second set
Halloween Covers:
- "Louie Louie" (The Kingsmen)
- "Hang On Sloopy" (The McCoys)
- "Monster Mash" (Bobby "Boris" Pickett and the Crypt Kickers)
- "Wipe Out" (The Surfaris)
- "The Gambler" (Kenny Rogers)
- "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" (Iron Butterfly)
- "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" (Pink Floyd)

* "Heavy Metal Machine" contains elements of "White Rabbit" (Jefferson Airplane), "Stranglehold" (Ted Nugent), "Tom Sawyer" and "YYZ" (Rush), and "White Horse" (Wonderland Avenue)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QAAR4DZ9