The Austin Chronicle recently published this article about Houston/Pearland group The Judy’s, who plan to reunite for a show during SXSW at the Austin Music Awards on March 12.
Tag Archives: SXSW Blog
How many times have you performed at SXSW?
Hopewell has performed 4 times so far. This will be our 5th.
If you’ve performed at SXSW, what’s your best memory of the festival?
Last year our bass player leapt off stage into one of those bouncy inflatable cages full of children and then ran into the barbershop that was hosting the day party and got a free SXSW mohawk. One year I came to riding a miniature train around a park on the outskirts of Austin with a nice girl I didn’t really know.
Share one thing that you know about Austin (a fact, bit of trivia, etc.) without using Google for help.
The bats! Bats live in tunnels beneath the city, ready to suck the blood out of already bloodless music industry insiders.
Shiner Bock or Lonestar?
Tito’s vodka and green tea.
Daniel Johnston – Austin legend? Any interest in seeing him perform this year?
He exists alright. More so than you or I. If I can I will go see him.
Which statement best summarizes this year’s experience?
- Play as many shows as possible
- See as many bands as possible
- Hook up and party with friends
- Play a show or two and get out of town
Comments about previous question:
SXSW is the time when we get to see all of our friends – it’s always like a class reunion or something. We like to play a lot because it keep us out of trouble, but the real reason we make the trek is to hang with old friends and escape the doldrums of Brooklyn’s winter.
For those not familiar with your music, what bands have others said you sound like?
Can, Jane’s Addiction, The Flaming Lips, Jesus Christ Superstar, Yoko Ono (not really, but I wish..)
Pimp your SXSWshow(s)/websites/whatever:
Our confirmed SXSW shows thus far:
March 12th – Tee Pee Records showcase SXSW with Earthless and Witch
March 13th – Birds Barbershop day party SXSW
With more up in the air as per usual.
SonicItchMusic.com is reporting that the Black Crowes are no longer going to be performing at Stubb’s during SXSW. I’m not sure where they got that information (there are no links to any “official” news) but the date doesn’t appear on the band’s MySpace page (though, to be fair, I’m not sure if it ever did).
Australian songwriter Ohad Rein has performed at SXSW in the past, both as a touring member of Gelbison (2004) and fronting his own band, Old Man River (2005). Rein and his band, which includes former Noise Addict drummer Saul Smith, will once again be returning to Austin to play SXSW according to the band’s MySpace page.
Got an email from Tilly & The Wall this evening confirming their participation at SXSW though exact details haven’t been revealed yet.
And, Austin stoner-rockers Lions, whose song “Metal Heavy Lady” is featured on Guitar Hero 3, are playing the High Times party and will undoubtedly play a million shows over the course of 4 days.
Lions – “Metal Heavy Lady” (no, that’s NOT Triumph’s Mike Levine on bass!)
The start of a new year usually brings a flood of tour date announcements from publicists. We received a few of those emails today, many of which had dates that included Austin during SXSW week. Here’s the latest list of bands that you can expect to see at SXSW:
- Hotel Cafe tour featuring Ingrid Michaelson, Sara Bareilles, Cary Brothers, Joshua Radin, Dan Wilson (ex-Semisonic), Meiko, Priscilla Ahn, Kate Havnevik, William Fitzsimmons, Jessie Baylin, and Jim Bianco - March 13 @ The Parish
- LA-based Radar Bros. whose new album, Auditorium, will be released on Merge Records later this month. Check out “Warm Rising Sons” (MP3) from that album.
- Canada’s Born Ruffians
- Also, got an email from Todd of Model/Actress saying his band would be making the rounds this year. Here’s the band description from MySpace: EX-MEMBERS OF BRAINIAC + BULLET LAVOLTA + CHAMBERLAIN + GOBBLEHOOF = this fine collective with little ambition and even fewer redeeming qualities. Special guests on the debut EP in DAVID YOW (Jesus Lizard, Scratch Acid) and JOHN SCHMERSAL (Enon, Brainiac).
SXSW is slowly starting to trickle out info about bands performing in Austin in March. New to the SXSW site is the announcement that Domino Records will have a showcase featuring some of it’s hottest new artists. Scheduled to perform are: The Kills, White Williams, Lightspeed Champion, Sons & Daughters and These New Puritans.
The Kills new video for “URA Fever”